Benefits of Walking
An Activity You Do Every Day.
The Number One Activity Everywhere!
- Easy To Do - There is no great trick to walking. It does not require any special skills or advanced conditioning. Walking doesn't require any special equipment or clothing. All you need is a good pair of walking shoes, comfortable clothing, a pedometer, and you're set.
- Healthy - Some health benefits of walking include
- Burns almost as many calories as jogging
- Eases back pains
- Slims you waist
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces level of bad cholesterol
- Reduces heart attack risk
- Lessens anxiety and tension
- Enhances stamina and energy
- Safe - Walking is probably the safest exercise you can do. Studies have shown that due to the design of our body, walking is more natural than sitting, standing or running, and walking is not as stressful to the body as other exercises.While walking is easier on your body, it can be just as beneficial as running in helping you lose weight. If you run for 30 minutes at 5 miles per hour you will burn about 285 calories. If you walk for 30 minutes at 4 miles per hour you will burn 165 calories on a level surface, 225 on a slight incline of 5%, and 360 calories on a 10% incline.
Shoes Make The Walker - Walking shoes are the single most important piece of equipment for the walker. They can be the difference between having a fun, relaxing walk and an uncomfortable, painful walk.
It is important to get a good pair of walking shoes with the following characteristics:
- Provide both support and comfort to all parts of the foot.
- Have enough toe room so that you can wiggle your toes.
- Have firm support at the heel.
- Have a flexible cushioned sole in order to aid in the walking gait and to absorb shock.
- Be made of breathable material, preferably leather, or fabric to allow perspiration to dissipate.
- Be lightweight
My next entry will include a discussion of walking gear and stretching exercises.